The first count courthouse Mr. Waters planed was in Waupaca. The county was formed in the early 1850's and by 1880 had become a prosperous center of industry and commerce. Such a county would need a modern and substantial edifice from which to conduct county affairs. The county board selected a square in the center of the city of Waupaca as the site of the new courthouse and William Waters won the job of designing the building. Construction began in 1880 and was finished before January 1, 1882. The courthouse was in the Queen Anne Style; two stories high of a light colored red brick with contrasting bands at the window tops and bottoms. On the front elevation a central tower with an entrance was flanked by wings with a high hipped roof with dormers. Each side of the building also had entrances and a three story tower capped a peaked hip roof. The building continued to serve for nearly a century with some additions and alterations. A large wing was add in 1903 and at sometime the hipped roof and towers were removed, perhaps for easy of maintenance. The removal of the roof gave the building an odd unfinished look. The county built a new courthouse in 1978 and demolished the old one making way for a new library. Architect Waters' foray to Waupaca also garnered more business with commissions in Waupaca for commercial buildings, homes and various projects on the Chain-O-Lakes.