Algoma Boulevard was always a major through fair, lined with businesses, schools, churches and homes. In the early 1890’s, commercial building and churches occupied each side of the street from Main Street to Light Street, there were very few houses. There was one however at number 58 Algoma, the residence of Samuel Sutton, and machinist. By 1898 the Sutton residence was gone, replaced by beautiful brick and stone business block for Medberry and Bemis, wholesalers of paper and wooden ware. The building may have been the work of William Waters for it bore many details used by architect Waters.
The structure was three stories high with an intricate brick work cornice and pediment. Six windows ran the width of second and third floors and there were two storefronts on the ground floor. The windows of the upper floors featured indented corners of the openings, giving the apertures a wider appearance. Limestone bands and lintels added color and surface texture variety. The building proved inadequate to the company’s purpose and it was replaced in 1927 with a larger structure.